Search
Other Articles Anywhere questions
Forum

Migration to Joomla 4

Meinolf Mueller's Avatar Meinolf Mueller
Hello,
I have studied your description for migrating Articles Anywhere from Joomla 3! to Joomla 4! and there rose 3 questions:
1. Can all this work done under Joomla 3!
2. Is it necessary to install the Joomla 4! plugin under Joomla 3!
3. All underscores (_) should be migrated to hyphen (-). There is a description of tags to be migrated. With the given tags two names are missing and I'd like to ask, if they are to be migrated too or not. The tags are "title_tag" and "output_title_tag".

Regards
M. Müller
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
1) You could do the replacements on the J3 site. But then a lot of stuff will stop working on that site.
2) You can't install the J4 version on the J3 website. It is a single zip file with both versions in it. All you need to do is make sure you have updated to the latest version on J3 before upgrading. Then re-install that version on the J4 site.
3) All attributes will still work when using underscores. But might stop working in future releases. So my advice is to change them to use dashes.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Hello thanks for the answer. Another question rose by this. Looking at Articles Anywhere I can find within "Getting started" a section "Upgrading from J3 to J4".
When I have a look at other plugins like e.g. "Snippets" or "CDN for Joomla" the section "Upgrading ..." is missing. Does this mean, that no action has to be taken when moving from I3 to J4 except re-installing the plugin?
Regards
M. Müller
Correct.
But read through the documentation to see her is new and different in the Joomla 4 versions.

And - of course - try everything out on a test website first.
Hello, of course this will be tested using copy of live site to a subdomain. But to come back to this: With articles anywhere in 99,5 % of all cases I use {article alias-name} {text} {/article}. I tried out under 3.10 to code {article alias-name="alias-name" } ... and it is working too. So, I could do this update already on live site (after testing of course) before moving to J4.
There is another thing with underscores and dashes. Within documentation I found, that these changes would be backwards compatibel. And also, if there are no information on your site for plugins what to do for migration, that no modifications are necessary. I tried this out with tabs although not ready for J4. But I suppose that backwards compatibility is also possible, when the version is available. With tabs I tried out to set underscore of title_tag="h3" e.g. to dash title-tag="h3". The hyphen-version isn't working. Is this coming and woudn't it be nice if the hyphen-version would work with any of your plugins J4 compatible or not by this quite a lot of work could be done before moving.
Regards
M. Müller
There will be no changes made to the J3 versions of the extensions to support other syntaxes.
There will be situations where the J4 syntax will not work on J3 and vice versa.

If you are doing this on a test website anyway, just upgrade to J4 first and do the replacements after the upgrade.

Regarding Tabs & Accordions for J4. That is NOT the J4 version of J3.
It is a new extension that works differently to (just) Tabs for J3.
A lot of the syntax is the same and where it is you are lucky.

The documentation for Tabs & Accordions is not ready yet. So you'll have to figure out what is different by yourself or with the help of the forum thread on Tabs & Accordions for now.
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription