Search
Other Advanced Module Manager questions
Forum

Module assignments lost after j4 migration

Thomas Venugopal's Avatar Thomas Venugopal
Hello, I migrated from latest j3 to latest j4. I understand that the assignment model is now a condition ruleset thing. I have many modules, where the most are the assigned to single menu items. It’s not the main menu but a shadow menu. But after the migration the assignments are lost and all modules are shown on all pages.

Other example. I have a module which has the assignment to a URL fraction like „/landing/xxx/yyy“. This is also lost, the module is shown on all pages.

In ReReplacer the migration of the conditions seemed to work better.

I can assign all modules manually again but I think that was not the goal of the migration script. 😉

PS: In saw an error during reinstalling the regular lab extensions, something like „library missing“. In saw other posts with this error. Don’t know what that means.

Unfortunately I can’t give backend access whatsoever.
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Looks like the migration script failed or timed out during the upgrade process on your site.
This could happen if you have loads of modules and the PHP memory runs out, or something like that.

If it is too much work to correct the module conditions manually, you will need to revert the database tables (mainly the advancedmodules and conditions tables) to what they were on the Joomla 3 setup. And then reinstall Advanced Module Manager.
But reverting those tables will also make you lose the conditions for ReReplacer. So you would essentially need to start the upgrade process over.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Starting the whole migration is a matter of a click, no problem.

So, you suggest to start the migration again and just try reinstalling the regular extensions again? I did that many times but AAM always loses the assignments.

By reverting the tables you mean copying these tables from j3 to j4 and that should do the trick?

Greets
Thomas
I did that many times but AAM always loses the assignments.
So I would have to look into this under the hood to see what exactly is happening and why stuff is not being converted correctly or at all.

Can you give me (super) admin, (s)ftp and database (PhpMyAdmin) access so I can take a look?
I would need access to the J4 admin side, files and database, but also access to the J3 database.
You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.
As I wrote in my first post I'm not able to publish the development site. I'll speak to the sysadmin and try my best and come back later.
Sorry, forgot about that.
I can't help you much further without seeing it in action.
Confidential information:
(hidden)

Peter, I got it, see information.
Thanks, but that is only the administrator access.
Can you give me ..., (s)ftp and database (PhpMyAdmin) access so I can take a look?
I would need access to the J4 ..., files and database, but also access to the J3 database.
Oh sorry, you'll get that tomorrow. But: I can't give access to j4 and j3 db at the same time because I deploy from live (j3) to staging (j3). Then I or you can start the migration process which turns staging from j3 to j4. So you need to inspect the db before migration.

Currently staging is on j4. Do you want me to deploy a fresh copy of live so that you can start the j4 migration by yourself?

PS: After j4 migration the language files need to be updated manually otherwise the edit screens are broken.
@Peter: Can you provide a public key? A id_rsa.pub?
Nope, can't do that here.

If you can reproduce this on an online test environment to which I can get full access (to the j4 site/files/database and the j3 database), I am happy to look into this.
Here we go:

(hidden)
I am able to connect via sFTP, however I just get access to a (nearly) empty folder. Not to the root of your website...
(hidden)
Did you see my last reply?
Yes, I'll be looking into it today...
Can you check if all modules are now correctly published (conditions are correct)?
And if not, can you give some specific examples of modules that are not ok. So module ID and what is wrong in the J4 condition (vs the J3 assignments).
I checked it and unfortunately it's not working as supposed.

(hidden)
Checking the first one: Module ID 420...
It IS on those pages! 🤔
Sorry, I mixed up the sites 🙄

(hidden)
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription