Search
Other Advanced Module Manager questions
Forum

Assignments to conditions do not convert correctly after upgrade

ENMU Webmaster's Avatar ENMU Webmaster
Hello!

I just updated my dev site to Joomla4, when I install the J4 version of the Advanced Module Manager it does not seem to convert the assignments to conditions correctly.

I open a fairly simple module that is assigned to the home page only and it has tons of conditions applied to it. I went into the Conditions component in the admin area and there are only two conditions that exist and the first one seems to apply to basically all modules. I'm not sure but it might just be all the assignments ever created combine into one condition so now everything is showing up on every page.

Is there anything I might be missing in the process of my upgrade that would cause this or something I need to make sure is set correctly?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Confidential information:
(hidden)
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Did you have Advanced Module Manager installed before the update to Joomla 4?
And did you set up assignments with AMM?

Or did you install AMM after an update to Joomla 4 from Joomla 3 without AMM?
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
I had AMM installed and setup in Joomla 3, processed the upgrade (while leaving the j3 version of AMM installed) and then installed the J4 version after the update.
Before upgrading to Joomla 4, make sure you have the latest version of Advanced Module Manager installed on the J3 site.

After upgrade, install that latest version of AMM again. The install script should convert the existing assignments to the new conditions.

I am not sure why that goes haywire on your site.

The URL of your J4 version seems to not work anymore. So I guess you deleted it.

If you try the process again, and it fails again, can you give me access to that site?
And tell me a few specific module IDs I can look at that are not converting correctly.

Also, I would probably need ftp and MySQL access (also to the J3 version) to see what is going wrong....
Sarah Hayes's Avatar Sarah Hayes
Hi Peter,

I have had the same problem. I was doing a trial run upgrade for a site that I plan to upgrade next week. I upgraded AMM to the latest version on J3, then after upgrading to J4 installed the latest AMM J4 version. After the upgrade, no modules are displaying.

When comparing the conditions of the J3 and J4 modules, this problem seems to be that in J3 the module is set to Public, but in J4 it has 7 Access Level conditions set to Registered. They definately weren't there before the upgrade. I haven't checked all 200+ modules, but all the ones I have looked at all have 7 Access Level conditions set to Registered.

Also the modules no longer have an Access Level option on the first tab/screen of the module. I can only set Access Level as a condition. Is this how AMM works now, or is this an issue after upgrading?

Another thing that I'm missing is the option to filter by category. A lot of the sites I work on are large and can have hundreds of modules. I like to organise the modules into categories and make use of the filter by categories a lot so I can see all modules in a category. Is this feature no longer available, or is this also an issue after upgrading?

Unfortunately I am working on localhost, so can't give you access.

Thank you
Sarah
The access level is indeed moved to the conditions, as... it is a condition.
And also this enables you to re-use the access level setting across multiple modules (or other items that support Conditions).

But yeah, it seems like there is something not going completely correct with the access level settings.
Can you see if upgrading from J3 to J4 and then installing the dev version of Advanced Module Manager solves this?
regularlabs.com/development-releases

The category filter is indeed missing. This is just something I seemed to have overlooked. I'll add that asap.
Thank you Peter. I have downloaded the dev release. I will give that a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
That missing category filter is now added in the latest dev version.
I have been able to reproduce the issue with the access levels.
I am working on a fix now.
Brilliant. I was about to test the dev version, but I'll wait until you issue the fix, and then test it.
Thank you.
Please try the latest development version from:

Make sure you are starting from your original J3 setup (database).
Ass the AMM for J4 installer will mark the modules as 'conversion done' in the database.
Web WCW's Avatar Web WCW
We're currently slowly getting our sites ready for the upgrade to Joomla 4 and decided to check up on the J4 compatibility of advanced module manager. Unfortunately, we are also seeing issues with the auto conversion of menu assignments into the new conditions system.

Specifically, we're seeing seemingly the same issues as ENMU, the original poster in this thread where modules are just all over the place now. Some are particularly strange. For example, we have some modules originally set to a parent menu item (a single rule). After conversion, it seems the conditions set the module to each of the child menu items instead (tons of rules).

To test, we upgraded a test instance of our site from Joomla 3.10.9 to Joomla 4.1.3 (the latest current versions).
-The site already had advanced module manager installed on J3 (with version 9.1.2)
-After the upgrade to J4, we upgrade advanced module manager by re-installing it and get a successful installation message

(hidden)
Are you able to set it up so you only upgrade to J4. And not re-install AMM after that yet.
And then give me full access to see if I can see what is going wrong?
So super admin, (s)FTP and MySQL access...
Web WCW's Avatar Web WCW
(hidden)
I am currently on a short holiday. And will be at a different location tomorrow.
So I'll send you the IP address once I get there...
Web WCW's Avatar Web WCW
We can wait until you're back from holiday if that's easier. Not a problem.
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I was out of town.

Ok I've tried again with the latest version and am still having the same problem.

I have the J4 site all setup for you, ready for AMM to be installed.

Let me know if you need anything else.

(hidden)
@ENMU Thanks, I can get to the database and the FTP.
However, the Joomla admin credentials you gave me earlier no longer work.

@Sue My IP address for the coming few days is 12.220.136.7
If possible see if you can temporarily whitelist the 12.220.136.* range...
Web WCW's Avatar Web WCW
(hidden)
I would need more than just be able to SELECT in the database, so I can put back the original module assignments when re-trying things.

In the meantime, I changed some things in the installation conversion script which might have fixed the issue.
So if you can try yourself:
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription