Search
Other Modals questions
Forum

Screen Readers - WCAG/ADA Compliance

Andrew Crossan's Avatar Andrew Crossan
Client is being sued over a website accessibility issue. One of the issue is related to a modal that appears when a button is clicked.

Plaintiff asserts that "When the dialog appears, screen readers do not say it appears or say its name. and Screen readers cannot read the dialog’s content."

Anything we can do with Modals to address this?

Button text is
Confidential information:
(hidden)
Entire Article for reference

(hidden)
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Can you try the latest development version and see if that changes the behavior of the screen reader?
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
I'm hitting it, but the screen reader is only picking it up at the very bottom of the page after I've tabbed all the way through the form, the sidebar menu links and the footer menu links.

Getting this error via Siteimprove:
"Aria-describedby" has incorrect (ID) reference
1.3.1 Info and Relationships
The WAI-ARIA 'aria-describedby' attribute has a reference to an ID that does not exist or an ID that is not unique.

Make sure the ID referred by 'aria-describedby' exists on the page and that the referred ID is only used on one element on the same page.

Also:

Error
Invalid WAI-ARIA role, state or property
4.1.2 Name, Role, Value
A WAI-ARIA element contains a role, state or property that is invalid or not allowed on this type of element.

Check the W3C specification for "Accessible Rich Internet Applications Suite" (WAI-ARIA) to see which ARIA attributes are allowed for this type of element. Ensure that all attribute values are valid, including ID references.

For reference:

(hidden)
Rolled it back to previous version for now.
I made some changes that should make it better.
If that isn't good enough, I am not sure there is more I can do at this point.
Errors are gone - Thanks! How the screen reader handles it seems to depend now more on how the screen reader is set.

Thanks again.
Ok, great 🙂
The fix will be included in the next release.
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription