Slow response related to System

Search
Other Bug Reports questions
Forum

Slow response related to System - Regular Labs Library

Alan Sillitoe's Avatar Alan Sillitoe
Hi Peter,

I have been trying to identify why my website at eume.upf.org is slow to load. In doing some tests, such as with www.webpagetest.org , I see that the front page doesn't start to load until after about 30 seconds.

I set up an equivalent test version at mateoz3.sg-host.com , and I started going through disabling modules and plugins, but nothing seemed to have any effect until I eventually came to "System - Regular Labs Library".

After disabling this plugin, my front page loaded immediately. I tried switching this on and off and the result was always the same. I then tried this on the real website with the same result. (With cache disabled.)

Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

I am currently on Joomla 3.10.3 and I believe my extensions are up to date. I am using, or have installed, Modals, Modules Anywhere, and Advanced Module Manager.

Many thanks,

Alan
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
If you disable the Regular Labs Library plugin, this will 'disable' ALL Regular Labs extensions (plugins) you have installed.
So all that tells you is that one of the Regular Labs extensions is causing the issue.

I recommend you leave the Regular Labs Library plugin on and try to disable the other Regular Labs plugins one by one.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Thank you, Peter. Effectively, if I disable the "System - Regular Labs - Modules Anywhere" plugin, which I use a lot, it has the same effect.

I use this in many of the articles I have on the website, to call a module, which is itself used to open a Slideshow of images stored in Flickr, but these calls are "behind" the "Read more" in the articles and so I would have thought that the call to the module only occurs when the article itself is opened, i.e. not on the front page itself.
Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
And tell me on what url I can see/reproduce the issue.
You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.
Dear Peter,

Here is the access to the test website at mateoz3.sg-host.com. It is a restored version of a backup of the real website, but I disabled quite a few modules and plugins before I reached yours.

Confidential information:
(hidden)

It is the front page itself where this problem seems to be most noticeable.

Best wishes,

Alan
You have something weird going on on that site, that is causing files (scripts) to be blocked. Currently the jquery.js file is returning empty and is causing all sorts of issues on both the frontend and admin side.
I can't even browse in the admin menu. And on the frontend all scripts and images are not loading.
Seems like an issue with your setup.
I'm sorry about that. I have been experiencing periodic problems with the cache since I moved the site to Siteground. I just flushed their dynamic cache and that seemed to clear up the problem, at least for the moment.

The only way I can disable their dynamic cache is to put something in the .htaccess file, so I can do that if you want.

Let me know if you need access to the real website.

My apologies.

See:

my.siteground.com/support/kb/disable-dynamic-caching-website
I have added that thing to the htaccess (which you commented out) and it makes no difference.
I can't do much for you if you don't have a normal working setup.

Did the issues you have with the slowness also start when you moved to Siteground?
I moved away from Siteground a couple of years ago because of issues like this and the lack of knowledgeable support.
It might have done. Understood. Ok, let me try loading the website elsewhere and see if the problem persists. This might take me a while.
Dear Peter, I finally got the website up and running properly on a local XAMPP server and I get the same results. Tomorrow, I hope to install it on another webhosting so it's accessible to you.
Please check if the type of module is the issue. So see if it is down to the module you are calling through Modules Anywhere.
Okay, I'll check that out. What I can't understand is why this would affect the front page, because these calls to modules are after the read more, so this shouldn't affect the front page code, should it?
It can be because your homepage uses a blog view, that will pass all the texts of the articles through the plugins. So even if you can't see the {module} tags on the homepage, the text containing it is still passed to Modules Anywhere...
PS: This issue should pretty much be non-existent if you use Joomla caching!
Dear Peter,

Joomla caching helps, but only if you are calling a page that was previously displayed.

Thank you for the explanation. I do indeed have a blog layout and I didn't realise it would be calling up all the content behind the read more.

Indeed, when I put some simple custom modules in place of what I had, the page displays rapidly. Also, my modules are normally fetching Flickr albums, but when I just put the Flickr embed code, the page also displays fairly rapidly.

So, evidently the problem is not with your plugin. Sorry!

I don't really like just using the Flickr embed code, but I don't know if there is a way to solve this problem.

Interestingly, even as is, the page does display twice as fast on the cheap LWS hosting plan I just set up to test things, as compared to Siteground, which doesn't say much for the latter!

Best wishes,

Alan
What you could do is use Articles Anywhere to create your homepage 'blog' view instead of using the Joomla core blog view.
regularlabs.com/articlesanywhere

And yes, it doesn't surprise me that part of the issue is the SG environment.
You can only post on this forum if you log in