Search
Other Sliders questions
Forum

Version 8: what do I risk?

Claudio Romeo's Avatar Claudio Romeo
The changlog for version 8.0 reports:
! Removes option to set the tag delimiter to `{slider=...}`
^ Deprecates the syntax `{slider My Slider}` in favor of the attribute syntax `{slider title="My Slider"}`
Something similar is related to Tabs.
But what about the fact I used the syntax `{slider My Slider}` many times in all my websites? I'm a webmaster and I hope I don't have to edit the syntax by hand, neither now nor in the future. Thousands of webpages to check... What a nightmare!
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Support for the old syntax is deprecated, not removed.
So it will still work. But it can get removed in some future major release.

As with all new Joomla and extension releases, and especially major version releases, test things out on your test copy of your site first.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Thank you. This is clear to me.
But if
it can get removed in some future major release
I wonder what to do in this case: leaving my extension out o date or checking and editing thousands of pages.
Or, will you provide any tools to automate substitutions? Like a special sintax for DB Replace, for instance.
Otherwise, I am very scared of this scenario.
Andrea Malalana's Avatar Andrea Malalana ADMIN
In case we stop supporting old syntaxes, I'm sure we will be happy to provide DB Replacer instructions to help the migration.

We probably won't stop supporting old syntaxes until the Joomla 4 version of the extensions, so for Joomla 3 version you should be fine 🙂
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Not sure it will ever get removed. Probably not.
Once Joomla 4 is released most development will go into those extensions.
So don't worry about it.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
OK.
Thank you!
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription