Search
Other Quick Index questions
Forum

Working with Page Breaks

Matt Berman's Avatar Matt Berman
Hi,

I just got the Bundle, mainly to use Quick Index but sure many of the others will come in handy too.

I have a site with very long articles that are broken up using Joomla's built in Page Breaks, but I couldn't find a way to style the built-in TOC the way I want. I wanted QI to make more readable TOCs, and also to include headings that are not at the top of pages. I can suppress the built-in TOC (though I haven't found a way to do this on some individual articles and not others, in case you know of one).

Problem is that items in Quick Index do not link successfully to headings past the first page. Is there a way to get QI to recognize the Page Breaks and correctly link to anchors on later pages? When I create anchor links manually to do this, I just add "?start=2" or "?start=3" or whatever page number to the anchor link. Can I get QI to do that too, or even add them manually if necessary?

Thanks,
Matt
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Currently there is no support for the Joomla page breaks in Quick Index.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Is there any other way that you know of, maybe even using other RL extensions, to reproduce that functionality of multi-page articles?

Thanks,

Matt
No, not without serious custom php coding.
I will look into adding support for Joomla page breaks in a future release of Quick Index. But don't count on it at this moment.
Ok, made an attempt at adding support for the Joomla page breaks to Quick Index.
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Ok, first of all -- Mind. Blown. at how fast you jumped on this. Unbelievable customer service! Thanks so much.

However, it doesn't seem to work quite yet. I downloaded and installed the new version, made a left module with {index min="4" max="5" article="44"} (also tried without min, max, and article set to current), article with {index min="4" max="5"} at the top.

When you click on any of the links it just goes back to the first page (doesn't do anything if you are already on that page). At first the link showed "on this page", but now it doesn't show anything. Also, the pages are all at the top (they don't work either) and the heading links are below all the pages.

I really do appreciate you working on this.

Matt
Do you have this on a test site?
Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
And tell me on what url I can see/reproduce the issue.
You can use the 'Hidden text' button in the forum editor to hide the confidential information.
Sorry for delayed response -- dentist appt.

It's a development site.

Admin address:
Confidential information:
(hidden)

username:
(hidden)

pw:
(hidden)

Page where I'm trying it out:
(hidden)
Ok, will try to look into this asap (later today or tomorrow...)
Will not be today. Hopefully later this week...
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Progress! The links work now!

Minor things left to fix:

1. For some reason, the module, assigned to the left mod position, has now expanded to take over the content section, pushing the article down below it.

2. When you click on a link to another page, the Index is no longer there. It should appear on all pages, so that users can navigate around the article.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you working on this -- I've never seen customer service like this.

Thanks,

Matt
new dev version...
The latest on the dev page is 1778571, which is the one I installed this morning. Is there a newer one?

Thanks,

Matt
Sorry, should be there now...
Now it seems to have gone all kerflooey. Depending on the menu assignments, it still is at the top of the content section, but also sometimes appears in both content and left mod. There is one page where it is just in the left mod, but the links don't work -- they do work in the pages that have it in both positions.

Programming is like Whack-a-Mole, isn't it? 😁
I haven't been able to log in to your site. The credentials don't seem to work. So can't check in what kind of way you are using it.

Can you give me (super) admin and also (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
That’s odd — I haven’t changed or disabled your credentials. I’ll have to check when I get home.
I would also need (s)ftp access...
sftp server:
(hidden)

username:
(hidden)

pw:
(hidden)

I just tried the credentials I sent you to log in as a superadmin to the website, and they seem to work fine. You have to use the admin link I sent, though:
(hidden)

Thanks.
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription