Search
Other Extension Manager questions
Forum

Recommended update procedure?

Ricardo M's Avatar Ricardo M
Hi,

I am in the process of updating a web site based on Joomla 3.4.8 and PHP 5.5.38 to Joomla 3.10.8 and PHP 7.4 or 8.0.
I plan to implement this update in two steps: first from Joomla 3.4.8 to 3.6.5, and then from 3.6.5 to 3.10.8.

The website currently uses some free software from RegularLabs (formerly NoNumber):
- NoNumber Cache Cleaner 4.2.3 (Module)
- System - NoNumber Cache Cleaner 4.2.3 (Plugin)
- System - NoNumber Framework [Old] 16.6.1 (Plugin)
- System - RegularLabs - Sliders 6.0.5 (Plugin)
- Button - RegularLabs - Sliders 6.0.5 (Plugin)
- Regular Labs Library v16.6.23869 (Library)
- System - Regular Labs Library v16.6.23869 (Plugin)
- Regular Labs - Advanced Module Manager 6.1.2 (Component)
- System - Regular Labs - Advanced Module Manager v6.1.2 (Plugin)

I am a bit puzzled on which would be the best way to proceed:
Should I first update all items listed above (and to which version?) and only afterwards update Joomla?
or
Should I first update Joomla to 3.6.5 and 3.10.8 and only afterwards update above items?

Just for testing, I tried to update just "Cache Cleaner" from 4.2.3 to 6.0.0 (= version which is supposed to be still compatible with Joomla 3.4.8 ). But this broke the Admin backend (resulting in a blank page). I had to restore the entire site from a backup to get it working again.
Could the reason be that Joomla wasn't able to understand that "RegularLabs Cache Cleaner" should replace "NoNumber Cache Cleaner", so that both remained installed?

As a side effect after the restore from backup, Joomla now wrongly indicates that "Cache Cleaner" is at version 6.0.0 and "Regular Labs Library" is at 17.1.21329, which is not true after restoring from the backup.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on which is the best way to proceed with all these updates, without breaking the web site?

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers
Ricardo
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
I would recommend you disable all 3rd party extensions.
Then update Joomla to the latest version (and PHP).
Update all your 3rd party extensions.
And then re-enable them one-by-one.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Ricardo M's Avatar Ricardo M
Dear Peter,

thank you for the advice.
Cheers.

Ricardo
You can only post on this forum if you log in