Search
Other Email Protector questions
Forum

Version 4.4.2 causes a Javascript error, no email is displayed.

Peter Hellinger's Avatar Peter Hellinger
Hi Peter,

The new Email Protector version 4.4.2 causes a Javascript error "Uncaught ReferenceError: emailProtector is not defined" on several websites. If I deactivate the plugin, the email address is displayed correctly. Joomla 3.9.21

Example here, Email Protector activated: vielfalt-erhalten.de/

Confidential information:
(hidden)


Best regards, Peter Hellinger
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
It seems specific to your site. I think it is caused by the Gantry template.
Email Protector checks to see if the Joomla core JFactory::getDocument()->getBuffer('component') command returns anything.
If not, it won't add the scripts.
It seems the homepage in your template is for some reason not returning any component.

Can you reproduce the issue with the Joomla core template?
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Peter Hellinger's Avatar Peter Hellinger
Strange. The plugin worked fine until version 4.4.2, only after that the error was noticeable. Only this morning, customers pointed out to me that the e-mail addresses "disappeared".

The 4.4.3 Developer version works again.

Many thanks!
Peter Hellinger
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Ok, great 🙂
The fix (workaround) will be included in the next release.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
I have the same problem - but with current version 4.5.0! See baubiologie-bramsche.de/
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Looks like some weird caching going on, causing the ids in the content to be different than the ones used in the scripts and styles.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
Hm, yep, I had the same assumption and had already deactivated Joomla system cache and JotCache, still RegLab's cache cleaner seems deleting 1.something kb caches, I have no idea where they come from.

And while using Fiefox Webdeveloper the changes made in style css-file do not happen when reloading the page. Do you have any idea? My websites - with the same styles and scripts running - are mostly hosted at all-inkl.com, this one at ionos.de. Can this be the reason?
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
Sorry, I meant strato.de
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Are you using the Page Cache plugin?

Read for more on caching here: www.joomlabeginner.com/blog/tutorials/81...able-cache-in-joomla
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
No, it's deactivated, too. And meanwhile I found out that Strato's "PHP Boost" causes caching - that's why I deactivated it now, too. I don't know when this will be effective for the website, but caching is now completely off - let's hope to get the problem solved by now.
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
You can use the 'Hidden text' button in the forum editor to hide the confidential information.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
Thx for looking.

Confidential information:
(hidden)
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
This is down to weird character encoding going on on your server.
Simple characters like a hyphen (#45) are no longer real hyphens, but are somehow converted to En Dashes (#8211).

I have no idea what on your setup is causing that, but that is the issue.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
Sounds like another good reason for changing the host…

I wonder why images are not shown, why links to existing articles in menu items appear broken and why the same protostar template.css shows different results on sites at All-inkl and on Strato. 🙁

Thx for checking!
Regards, Herbert
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
I apologize for suspecting Strato – over night I found out who is converting hyphens into dashes: me with ReReplacer. Too bad I forgot to exclude HTML from the action. 🙁

That first simple trick did it. Everything is looking fine again after replacing also the dashes which had found their way into css files via copy-paste. 🤔
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
With great power...
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Herbert Kleinschmidt's Avatar Herbert Kleinschmidt
… yes, uncle Ben, I understand.
You can only post on this forum if you log in