Search
Other Components Anywhere questions
Forum

issue with SEF and jDownloads 3.9

colin mercer's Avatar colin mercer
Hi
We have recently had a couple ouf users with a Components Anywhere problem. Think this might just be a documentation issue

The result is briefly summarised at
www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-...-components-anywhere

Basically if one adds the menu ID all is well. But that is not really clear in the tutorial doc it seems to suggest it is 'optional'. Think adding a note about SEF here would help users of several Components

Best wishes

Colin
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
That is only required - as it seems - in weird situations and only if there is a menu item controlling the settings.
See: docs3.regularlabs.com/componentsanywhere
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Thanks Peter, I was just hoping for a bit more explanation or clarity in the Documentation.

The documentation does say to avoid SEF links and a good way of doing that is to use a menu link, even if one is not using the extra advantages offered by a menu link. The menu link can of course be hidden.

Would it assist if I attempted a revised documentation?

Regards
Colin
I am not understanding what you are asking for. All the things you mention are right there in the documentation already:
docs3.regularlabs.com/componentsanywhere
Hi
I think it is just the emphasis where users think the SEF one is OK.

At bottom of section "How to use it (syntax)"
Existing
Note: You can also use SEF URLs inside the {component} tag, but we recommend you use non-SEF urls when possible.
Suggested
Note: Whilst in some situations you can also use SEF URLs inside the {component} tag, we strongly recommend you use non-SEF urls whenever possible as described below.

At bottom of "Using Menu Item to get the correct URL"
Existing
You could now even delete the menu item, as the url used in the {component} tag is not connected to that menu item - we just needed it to know what url to use.
Suggested
You could now hide the menu item, or even delete it, as the url used in the {component} tag is not connected to that menu item - we just needed it to know what url to use.

Best wishes

Colin
Andrea Malalana's Avatar Andrea Malalana ADMIN
Hey there,
I made some tweaks inspired by your suggestions, thanks 🙂
PS: it only makes sense to hide the menu item (and not delete it) if the component needs the menu item to work, as described here:
docs3.regularlabs.com/componentsanywhere
Thankyou

Colin
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription