Search
Other Cache Cleaner questions
Forum

Does Cache Cleaner invalidate browser caches

Tim Davis's Avatar Tim Davis
I was asked if Cache Cleaner invalidates browser caches and I don't know the answer. This was asked after a video I made showing Dimitris Grammatikogiannis' invalidate-cache plugin which refeshes the mediaversion hash.

My guess is "yes" because by deleting the cache a new hash is created on the refresh. Am I correct?

Thanks!
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
No, it does not delete browser cache.
It also doesn't update the mediaversion in the database or joomla.asset.json files like that plugin does.
But I could look into adding that to Cache Cleaner...
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Sorry for not giving you the link to the plugin I was referring to - didn't want to give you extra searching to do.

The genesis of that plugin was this twitter thread where I shared my video about Elyse Foltyn's website that helps clients empty their browser cache. You'll see that DG commented about it and then programmed the plugin.

If you think it would be a good added feature for Cache Cleaner to help solve that browser cache issue I say, "Go for it!" I know sometimes even after emptying the cache of a J site I am working on I cannot get my browser to reload new css - even with Ctrl-shft-r (of course it could be something else.)

twitter.com/dgrammatiko/status/1366539449597890562
PS: I won't have any time to look into this until next year... after I have finished Modals and Tooltips for Joomla 4.
Thanks, Peter. Everything in its own time!
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases

Very exciting.

I tested this and it did indeed change the media version of files in the /media folder:
ie. /media/system/js/core.js?3df32df979c2f7f52ea5c12b1079f875

In my testing I did notice that the version wsa not changed on files in some other folders:
ie. /plugins/system/jcemediabox/js/jcemediabox.min.js?d67233ea942db0e502a9d3ca48545fb9
or
/plugins/system/jcemediabox/css/jcemediabox.min.css?0072da39200af2a5f0dbaf1a155242cd

Of course, maybe "/plugins/system" dones not need to be changed?

I tried this on two J4 sites and the only other files I saw with what looked to me like media version addons were within sub folders of /plugins/system
I don't think the jcemediabox files use the actual Joomla media versions.
Probably just an md5 of the file modified date.
So do you think it is all good to go?
Yes, I think is ready.

I will let the person who originally asked about this know it's a feature now - thanks!
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription