Search
Other Cache Cleaner questions
Forum

Major problems with cache on SiteGround hosting.

G C's Avatar G C
Hi,

I need to find out if the following issues are related to RL Cache Cleaner or the SiteGround hosting server and SiteGround cache. SiteGround tech support has been telling me (and other customers) for a very long time that all the problems are caused by Joomla and the Joomla extension developers that have bad code in their extensions/plugins. I don't believe SiteGround and I have to solve the many cache problems with Joomla sites. Here are the details, so let me know if this is a RL extension issue or not:

I have my Joomla sites on SiteGround hosting and SiteGround switched from using cPanels to their own SiteTools interface. There are a ton of problems with Joomla cache on SiteGround hosting - this was confirmed by other Joomla extension developers and the many tech support requests they are getting from Joomla customers with SiteGround hosting.

Here are screenshots showing how the Joomla cache is not clearing; how the SiteGround jSGCache plugin is always giving errors even when I disable it and use the RL Cache Cleaner plugin, how the cache problem creates security alerts in Admin Tools, and how SiteGround tech support removed some cache component while working on one of my sites (and I have no idea how to replace that).
drive.google.com/file/d/14SqyAbDj2jPrKgc...LeQ/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/17mGpe8lPKvdeJzO...ccK/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1HCW1hd-19d4ONL3...gRc/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1KDOeMoTYqagU64N...tsH/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1Wz5GMzzKm6qyZET...7hY/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1j-zfSTzQH_5LO5d...8Aj/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1oVcMxt6Lmo6j_Rg...dF0/view?usp=sharing

Can you let me know if this is caused by bugs in RL Cache Cleaner or if it's bugs in SiteGround that would cause these issues?

Also, can you let me know if I should enable the System - Page Cache plugin? SiteGround support said that plugin should be disabled.

Thank you.
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Cache Cleaner only cleans cache. It has nothing to do with how cache is created. So any issues you have on that side has nothing to do with Cache Cleaner.

Regarding the cleaning of the SG Cache.
It can be that they have changed how to trigger the cache cleaning via their API, which would require changes in Cache Cleaner too. Not sure.
Are you able to clean the SG Cache via their own Joomla plugin?

Shortly after SiteGround forced the move to their SiteTools, I had all sorts of issues (caused by them doing a half-baked job of migrating my sites).
Tech support has been a joke for the last 2-3 years. They have no expertise on Joomla related stuff whatsoever. And the general knowledge on server stuff is bad too.
Their go-to answer is to blame the index.php of your site as the root of all problems. Or - as you mention - blame extensions or anything else outside of their responsibility.
I ran away from SiteGround after years of having them as my host. Up until 2018 it was fine.

That being said: if the SG Cache cleaning now has stopped working, I think I will rather remove it from Cache Cleaner altogether, instead of trying to fi it.
I don't have any warm feelings for trying to keep support for SiteGround specific stuff.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Nifa's Avatar Nifa
Aha, I went years ago to SiteGround because you (Peter) and most of the other Joomla-fans I know told me that they were very good in Joomla hosting. And I admit they service and support were splendid for many years. Last year they are really strange and have bad support. They don't understand Joomla stuff anymore and keep telling me I should hire their recommended WordPress developers to solve my server-error problems.

At this moment I have to reset their Site Tools - "NGINX Direct Delivery" and "Dynamic Cache" frequently after I changed a bit of code on my website. That is why I came to your support-forum to look at why your Cache Cleaner didn't take care of those things.

After reading this topic I definitely want to change to another Joomla hosting-provider. I Google-search for them but they seem to be all WordPress-focused. Are there are still good Joomla hosting-providers out there? Can you please whisper me, which provider (at this moment) you should choose to switch to for hosting Joomla websites?

Many thanks in advance, Nico
I moved to Vimexx.
They don't specialize in Joomla. So don't expect any Joomla-specific support.
But the hosting is solid!
And general and tech support is good.
I haven't had any hosting issues for a long time now. A completely different experience to the last years I was with SiteGround.
Nifa's Avatar Nifa
👍 Thank you so much for the tip Peter!
G C's Avatar G C
Nifa wrote:
👍 Thank you so much for the tip Peter!

Hi,
I switched to Rochen hosting and they have excellent tech support and hosting. I am very happy I got rid of SiteGround and moved all my sites to different hosting.

The other huge benefit for my Joomla sites was when I started using the LiteSpeed cache plugin on Rochen hosting. On SiteGround hosting I had nothing but constant problems with cache and everything else related to Joomla. On Rochen my Joomla sites all display fast in browsers with the LiteSpeed cache enabled and Joomla cache disabled. It is a huge improvement to the cache issues I was having on SiteGround.

my.rochen.com/?link=20629
www.litespeedtech.com/products/cache-plu.../joomla-acceleration
docs.litespeedtech.com/lscache/lscjoomla/settings/
Dave Bishop's Avatar Dave Bishop
I use both Rochen and Siteground. Lightspeed has issues with ecommerce stuff. Siteground does not.

I still see the clear Siteground cache as an option and very much hope that is not going away. I would think enough people use both CC and SG to make it work with Sitetools.
Siteground has not made any efforts to support Joomla 4 in any way. Their new caching methods cause issues with Joomla 4 in different ways.
Pretty much means that there is no reason for me in adding/continuing support for SiteGround specifically.
Hi Peter, thanks for replying. Do you have any specific examples of what they are not supporting with J4? I'd like to investigate this. I use them for a dozen sites and don't want issues.
No specific examples. But that's what some quick searches on Google revealed.
Also I saw some people complaining about it on twitter.

Like I said earlier, I left Siteground some time ago, because of various things I was not happy with.
My motivation to go out of my way for SG has also dissipated.
That sounds a bit bias for not having any examples. Sorry they moved to a new cloud system and things changed. I like them for the price and stability. They are great hosting for me. I hope you can find time for keeping this compatible with them? I buy the cache cleaner just for this.
One major reason for this point of view:

They used to offer a Joomla plugin for cleaning their cache: jSGCache.
They never made that compatible for Joomla 4. And have removed it as a listing from the Joomla Extensions Directory.
I can't find any way to download it anymore from their site.
The latest release of their plugin was in July 2019.

They seem to have abandoned their interest in Joomla and are focussing on WordPress.
Those are good points which I plan on raising with them. I too was highly disappointing by them removing the Joomla stuff they had built in and only doing WordPress. I complained to them. They said not enough Joomla sites to justify it was the answer I believe.

I am going to submit a ticket to find out what is their plan for the future of Joomla and their hosting.

I can tell you some things are cached in other places and may not be their fault. Without specific tests I can't say. I just switched a site and the DNS is fully propagated to their severs but my local computer still sees the old site. They said it was an ISP issue. Which seems correct. My phone shows the change. I've restarted my computer twice and cleared the cache on my OS. Still has not updated yet. So maybe blaming them is not 100% accurate. I am not making a statement just saying I don't fully understand it or know enough about development or Joomla to make an accurate assumption.
Hi again, as of today I am seeing a new message when trying to clear the cache.

Not all cache could be removed
SG Cache: Purge was not successful!

I really hope we can figure something out. Siteground may be annoying to developers and not specifically support Joomla anymore but they handle my high traffic sites very well. For the price I have no other option. I like Rochen but they are not as reliable. Siteground runs like a Swiss watch most of the time.

What can I do to find out more about this issue so I can get them involved if needed?

Thank you,
Dave
gabriele's Avatar gabriele
i have the same issue on my sites hosted on siteground
how can i fix it?

tks
I just got off a chat with them. I told them to get a cache plugin for Joomla or else there will be a lot of bad reviews coming soon.

Peter, you are more than welcome to a login to my site if that helps.

I don't understand why this started overnight. I had no problems yesterday. I did nothing to my sites. They claim no updates were done on their end.
This probably means the end of support for SG Cache in Cache Cleaner.
You'll need to send your complaints towards SiteGround...
Seriously? Can you at least look at it? It might not be a big deal to correct.
Well, nothing changed in Cache Cleaner. So something changed at SiteGround.

They have discontinued their own cache plugin for Joomla a long time ago.
Cache Cleaner uses the PURGE/BAN server socket connection.

If this no longer works, then they pulled the plug. Not much I can do about that.
Hi Peter, I have complained and created a bunch of posts about this to SG. They reached out today and are looking into it. I gave them access to a site and they can see if they can figure out what is blocking this.

Please do not give up yet. The Joomla community will appreciate your help. I know I will.

Stay tuned.

Thank you,
Dave
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription