Advanced module manager ACL problem

Search
Other Bug Reports questions
Forum

Advanced module manager ACL problem

C. Muller's Avatar C. Muller
Hi Peter,

To report the bug I must give a little intro, so you know I have inspected this thoroughly. Since a year we have noticed the performance of our website is not doing so great. I don't know if there was a direct connection to the bug, but it is the reason I started investigating. We also noticed that when we created a new custom module, the acces was set to a custom group we have made and is only accessible for registered users, so within the new custom module, the access is not set to public but to the first group in the list. When we delete that group, it goes to the next one in alphabetical order. Since also the bounce on the website was severely up (over 20% more) this was something that needed to be fixed, obviously. So with old backups I started a few months ago to do some trial and error with updates. This got us nowhere because this was not on the live website and we couldn't monitor the bounce rate this way, we have decided to put back a backup from two years ago (since we know for sure the problem was not there at that time). We have monitored the website for two weeks now and everything is back to normal, also the bounce is back as it was before. So now we wanted to update everything again. We have updated the website step by step. And two weeks ago I found out that the ACL problem happened the moment I installed Advanced module manager 8.0.1. I have tested it 3 times now with putting back the backup and installing AMM again and tested it by installing a newer version and monitoring the bounce rate and putting back the old version and monitoring the bounce rate. The moment I install a newer version, the ACL for new modules is messed up and starts in alphabetical order and not with public. I do have to say that the only version before this that I have, is version 7.14.1, so it is possible that a different version before 8.0.1 is where the problem starts, but I don’t have the versions in between so I can’t test that. But all the newer versions since 8.0.1 have the problem. (Joomla 3 latest version).

I can install any other extension and even update Joomla without any problems. The moment I update Advanced module manager, the error happens and the bounce rate goes up. I don't know if there is a relation to any other extension or even to the bounce (I will find out in the next couple of weeks because we will keep monitoring) but if you have any questions about other installed extensions or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Carla

En het moment dat ik op verzenden wil klikken, bedenk ik me at ik dit ook in het Nederlands had kunnen typen, maar ik heb nu geen zin meer om het te herschrijven 😉
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Not sure why you are posting this as confidential information, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
And tell me what modules (couple of ids) are the issue?
You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Hi Peter,

Sorry, that was by accident. Don't know what I did there.

I can give you admin access (below) but the problem is not visible now because I have the old Advanced Module manager installed.

Confidential information:
(hidden)
So I guess this is not a setup on which I can try some stuff out.

Can you reproduce the issue on a setup on which I can do some testing?
I can do that. I will install the website on another domain. Give me a few minutes.
I have placed the same website on a different domain (see below). You can login with the same information. I have now installed the latest advanced module manager and as you can see when you now create a new custom module, the access level is set to one of my custom access levels and not to public. If this does not happen for you, you need to go in module manager and click the second page twice (the first time it doesn't work). After you have done this, the problem with the ACL happens.

Confidential information:
(hidden)
I cannot see the issue.
Every time I create a new module, I see this:
See if you get the same issue on your side when using the core module manager.
Just change the URL from option=com_advancedmodules to option=com_modules

It might be due to something in your browser trying to remember and auto-set form elements.
I have tested this already. I have also tested it on 4 different browsers on many different computers. They all show the problem. Have you gone in the module manager to the second page? The problem does not happen when you only make a new custom module. You do have to go through the module manager. Just clicking on different pages. The problem is absolutely there. We have been testing this for weeks now on different computers, locations and browsers and the problem always happens.
Oh I forgot to mention, when I use the core module manager, the problem is not there.
I am not sure what you mean with 'the second page'...
I don't know what else to call it.

Ok, I see now. And I can reproduce the issue on my own setup too.

Weird thing is that AMM simply uses the Joomla core from field for the access level.
So I'll dig into this to figure out why that is happening.
Thanks. You can test on this website and mess everything up 😉 So dig away.
Please try the latest development version from:
regularlabs.com/development-releases
Yes, problem solved! That was very quick! Thanks so much!
Ok, great 🙂
The fix will be included in the next release.
You can only post on this forum if you log in