Search
Other Articles Anywhere questions
Forum

Index for Articles Anywhere

Vinny Hebert's Avatar Vinny Hebert
Is there any way to create an index like:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z

That will link to the start of things in the list that start with that letter. I could not create the link if there is no item with that letter?
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Not sure what your end result should look like...

So should the letters that don't have articles show but bu 'unlinked' (so plain text)? Or not show at all?

Should they link to a page that has all the articles that begin with that letter?
Or link to an anchor just above the first article with that letter, on the same page that shows all articles?
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
I've seen both ways where it was missing or just unlinked. And in my case I think an anchor would work. It's for a page like this

iloveoldtimeradio.com/extras/cast-crew
It is doable, but a LOT of code. If I would make it myself, I'd probably write custom PHP to grab the data from the database and output it all.

Anyway, you would need to have an {articles} tag for EVERY letter in the index. AND for every letter in the list.
So that is 52 {articles} tags per list.

Or alternatively, output 26 {articles} tags for the list, and use Quick Index to generate an index above it (which would then only show the letters that are available.

If you think you still want to use Articles Anywhere to create this, I can show you how. But again, I'd use a different approach myself.
I wasn't planning on using Articles Anywhere to create the Index itself but rather wondering if that could be an option. That list I shared will grow bigger and bigger and filtering based on Alphabet Bar.

However, if I create a glossary and using AA to group based on alphabet, how do I get AA to the first letter of a custom field (I have a custom field that I put the sort version of the name)?
You can simply order by the custom field value using Articles Anywhere:
{articles ... ordering="my-custom-filed"}

To output just the first letter of that field - for instance in a hidden div or anchor tag - you can use:
[textarea-field characters="1" add-ellipsis="false"]
Or to make it lowercase:
[textarea-field characters="1" add-ellipsis="false" convert-case="lower"]
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription