Search
Other Advanced Module Manager questions
Forum

Joomla 4 module Conditions screen is broken

Calvin's Avatar Calvin
I created a new Joomla 4 site and installed my base set of extensions into it, including AMM Pro.

When creating a new module, I wanted to assign it to the homepage, but when I click on "Create New Condition Set" I get a crippled screen.

Confidential information:
(hidden)

Any idea of what is causing this?
Peter van Westen's Avatar Peter van Westen ADMIN
Have you tried reinstalling Advanced Module Manager?
Also clear your Joomla and browser cache…
Please post a rating at the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
Yes, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times before I asked for help. I clear the caches regularly out of habit.

I just did it again for good measure.

Any other ideas?
Are you using a 3rd party or custom administrator template?
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
I'm not using a 3rd party or custom administrator template. I'm using the Alum one that is provided with Joomla 4.
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
I've been fussing with the setup a bit. When I go to the Conditions Manager (separate from AMM) and try to add a new condition, I get the same minimalist, unstyled screen. It fills the browser window with no exit button. I have to use <back> in the browser to get out of that screen.

When I uninstall AMM, the Conditions Manager does not get uninstalled. Is it possible the problem is with the Conditions Manager? There doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall it.

As a test, I renamed the "/administrator/components/com_conditions" folder via FTP and the Components link went away. I then reinstalled AMM and the folder and Conditions link came back. Unfortunately, the New Condition popup is still broken.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I have another J4 upgraded site, and in that one the AMM Conditions popup works as expected, so I know what it should look like.
Can you give me (super) admin and (s)ftp access so I can take a look?
You can use the 'Confidential information' button in the forum editor to hide sensitive information.

The Conditions extension does not get automatically uninstalled when you uninstall Advanced Module Manager, as it can be used by other extensions too (like ReReplacer Pro, Conditional Content, ...).
If you want to uninstall it, you can do that via the Joomla extension manager.
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
Here is your login information:

Confidential information:
(hidden)

If you can fix it, please let me know what needs to be done as I'll be creating a few more Joomla 4 sites in the next month.

Thanks.
The administrator url redirects to the main site. There is probably an IP block on it?...
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
Yes, sorry. I had Admin Tools running. I've disabled it.

Try again.

Thanks.
I can't reproduce this on your site either.
So it sounds like a local issue.
It could be that you have browser extensions active that are blocking certain CSS files from loading...
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
This is perplexing.

I just tested this in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, and Opera browsers in Windows 11 with the same broken screen. Opera runs it in a VPN, bypassing any potential ISP filters (it was pretending to be in the Netherlands).

I have another Joomla 4 site I'm working on, and AMM works fine in there. It uses the same base setup (same core template, Gantry 5).

I tried turning off all my adblockers in Firefox, with no luck.

Just for completeness, I tested the site on my Macbook Air in Safari, with the same result.

The fact that you don't see the issue is confusing to me.

Do you have any suggestions about where I should go from here?
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
"I can't reproduce this on your site either."

Just to be sure I am clear about this - when you open a new Condition on this site, you see the normal Conditions screen, not the one I did a screen capture of?
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
I was able to "fix" the problem temporarily. The site that had a broken AMM was running PHP 8.0.22. When I rolled it back to PHP 7.4.30, the Conditions form displayed properly.

When I tried PHP 8.x, the display broke.

What's puzzling is that the other Joomla 4 site I'm working on doesn't have this problem, and it's on PHP 8.0.22.

There is a difference in hosting, though, and so there may also be a difference in how the PHP was installed/configured.

This is of course a temporary solution for me as PHP 7.4 is EOL at the end of November, 2022, so I only have three months to move to PHP 8.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do moving forward, other than hope that in the next few months something changes to "fix" the issue permanently.

Thanks for your help.
Yes, I saw the correctly styled page on the Condition edit screen you see when creating a new condition.
Both via the Conditions component, and via a module when selecting "Create New Condition".

I would strongly advise against using PHP 8.0. Your host should provide PHP 8.1 !
PS: Are you sure you gave me access to the correct site that has the issue, and that it was on PHP 8 at the time I logged in?
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
Hi - I've updated the site to 8.1.9. I just logged in using the exact site and credentials provided to you in the hidden content (copy and paste), and the issue persists.

Could you please check one more time with the credentials provided.

Thanks again for all your help.
I switched on Debug mode and checked the HTML output of the Condition edit page.
There I could see that there was an error originating from the codemirror editor via the JText function.
Meaning an issue with some language string.

First I updated your site to Joomla 4.2.0. This didn't fix it.
Then I saw you had extensions still needing updating. And one of them was the US English language package (which you have set as the default).
Updating that solved the issue.

Moral of the story: Make sure you have all your things uptodate 🙂
Calvin's Avatar Calvin
Who would have thought the English language package would cause this kind of breakage.

But at least you saw the problem and were able to fix it. Thanks!
You can only post on the extension support forum if you have an active subscription and you log in

Buy a Pro subscription